ZZT On ZZT
This is a stub for a directory of ZZT worlds that are about ZZT. Magazines, how-to guides, things of that nature.
(This is going to take a long while to fill out.)
One of the unique aspects of ZZT is its capacity to be used as a medium for publishing about ZZT itself. Various company magazines, best-practice guides, and reference encyclopedias (collections of cool things you can do) were created throughout the years. However, the drawback of publishing information in this way is that you can't get to it easily without loading the world files in ZZT and actually playing them. The Museum of ZZT File Viewer helps greatly with this visibility problem, but the content is still spread across several publications.
This page will start out as a few random notes, but I hope to eventually map out the encyclopedias and attribute sources where possible.
Description: A classic in its own right, Barjesse guides new ZZTers through issues and mistakes that were common in the AOL era.
- Museum of ZZT: https://museumofzzt.com/file/z/syndrome.zip
- MoZZT Closer Look: https://museumofzzt.com/article/318/closer-look-zzt-syndromes
The UNOFFICIAL ZZT Programming Guide
Author: Corey "Des" Garriott, Mark McIntire and Others
Description: "Want to begin ZZT programing? This game may silence some discordant items in your games!"
Notes: Seems to start on the wrong board.
- Museum of ZZT: https://museumofzzt.com/file/u/coprogram.zip
Author: Carlos Barreto / ZPower Productions
Description: The first of several magazine issues with reviews and advertisements for upcoming games.
- Museum of ZZT: https://museumofzzt.com/file/z/zpower1.zip?file=ZPOWER1.ZZT
- Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope (Couldn't locate on MoZZT, will search AOL Compilation later on)
- Power (Couldn't locate on MoZZT, will search AOL Compilation later on. Author would be ZZTurbo according to review.)
- Space Station Z (Couldn't locate from a quick search, not sure if it exists, which is often the case with upcoming ZZT game ads.)
Engines or How-Tos
- "Apolcalypse Armor", a set of objects that the player encases themselves in.
Description: Seems to be AOL-era one-liner reviews with preview boards for ten games. I could only find entries for a few of them on the Museum of ZZT.
- Alien Takeover
- Escape From The Isle Of Peril
- Cave Of Death
- Crazy Zoo
Emon's Guild To ZZT
Description: "From basic stuff to cool tricks with ZZT-OPP." First topic is rooms with yellow borders.
Author: Wong Chung Bang, Scorch3000
Year: 2000 (Version 2), 2001 (Versions 5 and 6), 2007 (Version 8)
Description: "A ZZT world for newbies. Points out what not to do in ZZT files."
ZZT Programming Tricks and Techniques
Description: A newly-minted ZZT-on-ZZT world!
- Museum of ZZT: https://museumofzzt.com/file/z/zztptt.zip