Balleg Devlog Aug 2021

Firing a shot from within a tunnel. Here’s some footage. I spent a good chunk of this month catching up on bugs, so I don’t have much to show this time.   August Summary: Worked…

Balleg Devlog Jul 2021

A new design for the ‘bot’ enemies, and a new fire-jet projectile.   Some gameplay footage.   July Summary: Redesigned the ‘bot’ enemies to differentiate them from the player Added new enemies and drew /…

Balleg Devlog Jun 2021

A bit from the fourth prototype level. I posted some gameplay footage here.   June Summary: Cleaned up the codebase, deleting features that weren’t in use Revisited actor state management, replacing the clunky and almost…

Balleg Devlog May 2021

Getting some non-Balleg stuff out of the way: I converted Fog Machine and Task Blog from WordPress instances to static HTML pages. They look bad on mobile (or on desktop with a narrow browser window)…

Balleg Devlog Apr 2021

  Troubleshooting a function that returns the smallest angle difference between two planes.   I finished the conversion from floating point coordinates to a pseudo fixed-point form, where every pixel contains 4096×4096 discrete positions. Finally,…

Balleg Devlog Mar 2021

Some floor and obstacle types now support custom surface arrays with linear interpolation.   This month, I finished a teardown and rewrite of the collision and platforming systems that I started in February. I committed…

Balleg Devlog Feb 2021

Testing actor-based obstacles with slope support.   I started the month on track, but then went on a long detour to implement more platforming and collision subsystems and make improvements to the build system. On…

Balleg Devlog Jan 2021

Pic from an unfinished fourth beta level. Testing three layers of parallax scrolling in the background (which of course doesn’t come through at all in a still screenshot, oops.) Top-right: player getting hit by a…

Balleg Devlog (November 2020)

Some miscellaneous room prototyping. I made some good progress on high-level design this month, but didn’t get much done that’s tangible or playable. I’m narrowing the project’s scope a bit to help stay focused. I’ve…